These days, energy efficiency and clean power are more critical than ever. Not only does adopting newer, more sustainable technologies bring us closer to the future, but it ensures that we can help prevent too much damage to the environment as well.
Although it may seem like there’s not a lot you can do, one simple and profound change can be switching to LED bulbs. At first, it may not seem like much, but it can make a huge impact on both your utility bills and the world at large. So, with that in mind, let’s take a look at five excellent reasons to start using LED bulbs ASAP.
#1 Better Lighting Potential
With a standard incandescent bulb, energy has to pass through a filament to produce light. Unfortunately, there is only one kind of light that can be emitted this way, and it’s omnidirectional, meaning that you can’t direct it without a shade.
LED bulbs, on the other hand, provide many more options for your next lighting project. First of all, they can be directed without any physical barrier. Since the light is produced by running electricity through a microchip instead, it can be blocked and guided much more easily.
Also, colored lights are possible with LED. So if you want a warmer or cooler space, you can get a bulb that matches your criteria.
#2 Energy Savings
When most people think of LED bulbs, they know that they are more energy efficient. However, did you know that by switching you can save up to 90% of the electricity you would normally use with incandescents? That is an incredible difference, and it can save you a lot of money in the long run.
Overall, households that switch over to LED can save around $100 or so per year. It may not sound like a lot, but that can add up. Considering how long these bulbs last anyway, you’re looking at over a grand in savings for the long term.
Another way to think about it is that the money you’re spending on lights isn’t mostly going to waste. One of the problems with incandescent bulbs is that they generate a lot of heat. In fact, up to 80% of the energy spent is wasted as heat, with the other 20% going towards the light.
So, even if you’re not sold on the amount of money you can save, you should be happy that the money you do spend is not going down the drain.
#3 Eco-Friendly Materials
Both incandescent and CFL bulbs are notoriously bad for the environment. Not just because they use more energy, but because they use toxic materials in their production. Tungsten is a primary metal utilized for incandescent lights, and it can poison the Earth.
Thankfully, LED bulbs don’t have that problem. They are made from sustainable materials, so you don’t have to feel bad every time you switch on a light. Not only that, but they are usually 100% recyclable, so you don’t have to toss them into the dump once they’ve burned out.
Considering how much of an impact the environment has on our future, it’s imperative that we take every step we can towards ensuring a brighter and more sustainable tomorrow for ourselves and future generations.
#4 Longer Lasting
When you think of a standard incandescent bulb, you probably know the popping sound of one burning out, right? The fact is that most of these lights are not built to last more than a few years, tops. So, not only are you wasting money by generating heat that you don’t need, but you’re also throwing it away much sooner than you could be with an LED.
On average, LED bulbs are built to last upwards of 10-20 years. Ultimately, this number depends on how much you use it, but even with constant illumination (24 hours a day), you can still rely on the bulb to stay lit for up to a decade or more.
The other great thing about LED is that they are not as sensitive to environmental factors. Since they don’t use glass to house a filament, they are not as fragile, particularly in extreme hot or cold temperatures. Overall, you can have LED bulbs inside and outside all year long, and they will both work the same.
As we mentioned, incandescent bulbs produce a lot of heat. Chances are that you’ve felt the effects of it at some point. Usually, the heat doesn’t present much of a problem, but it can still be a fire hazard. If anything combustible sits next to one of these bulbs, it could catch fire.
Not only that, but you can easily burn your hand if you try to remove an incandescent bulb before it’s cooled down.
Overall, why not take the safer route and choose LED bulbs instead? Even after being on for hours, it stays cool to the touch, so you never have to worry about it causing problems.
Thanks for reading our blog! How can we help you? Contact us today.